Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Sump pumps -- GFCI required?

wrote in message
For whats its worth during selling home 2 seperate home inspectors
wqrote up my sump pump

first for no GFCI.......... sale fell thru........

\but I installed GFCI, second home inspector wrote it up saying you
should never GFCI a sump pump. second buyer bought home anyway......

I beleve a single non GFCI outlet is proper

Home inspectors are not by any stretch, electrical inspectors. If you had
five different ones, you'd probably get five different opinions.
Typically, electrical wiring is inspected and certified, when installed, and
grandfathered until such a time when changes are made to it, otherwise,
virtually all the wiring in a home that isn't 90 degree, would have to be
replaced. If the outlet that you plug your pump into was installed before
GFCI protection was required, there is most likely no legal reason why you
should have to replace it.