Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Dual Saw -- anyone use one?

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Existential Angst" wrote:

Next, when you grok the difference between a "conventional cut" and a
"climb
cut", post back -- maybe then we can have an intelligent conversation.

Something you clearly don't, EA. Those terms apply to end mills when
using the side of the cutter. Applied to a circular saw blade, they're
just meaningless technobabble used to weakly obfuscate your ignorance.

Really? Google "climb cut" RAS.
The very first hit:
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...w_Cutting.html

Comment from contributor D:
There is only one really safe way to cross cut on a RAS - by putting the
stock against the fence and then pulling the yoke and blade towards you.
This is, technically, a climb cut since you're feeding the blade to the
stock in the same direction the blade is rotating. Yes, the blade can
"climb" into the stock and the motor can jerk towards the operator. However,
that's why you should pull the yoke through the stock with a bit of a "stiff
arm" (so to speak), to minimize motor movement should this happen.

Who's ignerint now?

AND, btw, this explains but another lie on the dualsaw mis-infomercial: You
CAN cut in either direction with a circular saw (backwards would be climb),
you just gotta be careful, and use a "stiff arm". Not recommended, of
course.

And, indeed, the dual saw DOES facilitate this bi-directional cutting, but
it is an utterly trivial feature. They also strongly imply that *because*
of the opposite blade rotation, the dual saw can plunge cut and a circular
saw can't. Carpenters plunge cut every day with circular saws. Sheeit,
you can plunge cut with a recip saw, if you know what yer doin.

Well, *I* can plunge cut with recip saw..... clearly YOU can't.....

Btw, I disagree mightily with Contributor D:

Climb cuttung, as he correctly describes, indeed requires a "stiff arm",
and is thusly a very big pita for thick material. Otoh, Push cutting
(conventional) imo is MUCH preferred on an RAS, and safer. And *easier*.

Conventional cut is, of course, how one uses a table saw or circular saw.

Otoh, machinists generally prefer milling in climb, altho material and
tooling can vary the equation -- strangely, I've had much better finishes in
some mateials using conventional finish cuts... but, gee, look who I'm
talking to.....

Any questions?

Oh, btw, I need not have even googled or cited anything, as the "physics"
that yer ignerint buddee RicodJour refers to is self-evident, and I could
have argued this from geometry alone. Too much work, tho, and no doubt
futile for you and yer dualsaw buddee, so I did the google for you.. I'm
sure the folks on rec.woodworking can help you out further, if you are still
in your chronic daze.

--
EA