Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman Paul K. Dickman is offline

Default So so day in the shop

On 2009-12-14, Mark Rand wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:10:42 -0600, Ignoramus12283

On 2009-12-14, Mark Rand wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:12:07 -0600, Ignoramus12283

On 2009-12-14, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com
wrote:
Ignoramus12283 fired this
volley in
:

Then I had a DUH moment and saw that they had a plastic film between
them to make them shatterproof.

It's called "laminated safety glass", Ig. It's the stuff they use in
auto
windshields. Two sheets of glass with (originally) collodion filling
between... now an acrylic polymer.

Yes, I believe that it is the old style safety glass. The new
windshield glass is simply tempered, not two layered. As far as what I
know, they stopped using that glass years ago in cars.

It's very much used for windscreens and bullet proof glass. Now, why do
you
suppose it might have been used for a grinder eye guard?

Yep, I was wrong.

It's possible that it'd be better to get a new one made up out of
laminated
glass rather then polycarbonate. Might last longer before getting
scratched
up.

Maybe. The old was too foggy anyway, to be usable. 1/4 inch (6mm)
polycarbonate should also serve me well.

1/4" laminated safety glass is probably in stock at any real glass shop. The
building code around here lists it as one of the three acceptable types of
safety glass for use in doors and windows within 24" of the ground.
I put a sheet of it in my storefront door after drunk fell through the 1/4"
plate glass that had survived the last 50 years.

But for a grinder shield, I think I would just use the lexan.

Paul K. Dickman