Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Chineese 4 wheelers

stryped wrote:
My mom and dad want to buy my 5 year old a 4 wheeler for Christmas and
found a person who buys them and assembles them to sell. A 110 camo
was 579. A 125 was 799.

Where do people order these things from to re sell and are they junk?
The person on the phone said they were identical to a Honda in terms
of the engine and somethign abotu the company buying a patten from
Honda?

Close, The companies (3 of them) actually are using a 70's Honda design
for the engines/trans. They did add CDI ignition though. They also use
the same engines in many versions, So if you buy a 125 dirt bike, 125 4
wheeler, 125 road bike they use the same engine with just a different
exhaust pipe.
I get a few in to work on and they are not badly built. You do want to
go over them close to make sure they are together correctly. And you
will want to check for the vent, fuel and tank overflow, are properly
routed.

Parts are available for most of them easy enough. Some parts are
knock-off parts and the original makers parts usually fit. The biggest
problem I have seen is in the carbs. The ones they use are OLD designs
and have a nasty habit of sticking floats and leaks, just like the
originals they copied!
I usually change those out with a good replacement. Makes a world of
difference.

--
Steve W.