Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_2_] Steve B[_2_] is offline

Default Chineese 4 wheelers

"stryped" wrote in message
My mom and dad want to buy my 5 year old a 4 wheeler for Christmas and
found a person who buys them and assembles them to sell. A 110 camo
was 579. A 125 was 799.

Where do people order these things from to re sell and are they junk?
The person on the phone said they were identical to a Honda in terms
of the engine and somethign abotu the company buying a patten from
Honda?

Google ATV accident statistics for children before you make up your mind.
Manufacturers are required to put a 16 year old age minimum on ATVs. The
manufacturers get around this by making them less than a certain cc
displacement.

Don't take this the wrong way. ATVs are dangerous, and no child that age is
capable of operating one, and I don't care how smart your grandson is.
Hell, I broke my back on one a year and a half ago, and I've been riding
motorcycles for 45 years, and ATVs for ten.

Children that age do not have the capability of processing all the
information it takes for one of these. You are buying heartache if you do
get the kid one, I PROMISE YOU. If you are dead set on getting one, get one
of the major brand name ones, as at least you'll be able to rebuild it when
he crashes and give it to their surviving sibling when they get old enough
to ride according to your standards.

I am serious. The statistics and facts tell you :

DON'T DO IT.

I don't agree with the sixteen year old thing, but I'd say that at least ten
or twelve, and then supervised. Most of the worst accidents happen in two
scenarios: 1. unsupervised rides and 2. carrying passengers. And usually
ANY accident on an ATV is bad. My retired AF buddy crashed his two weeks
ago, totaled it, thrashed $2500 in camera gear, and got pretty banged up. A
grown man who flies airplanes.

It can happen.

Steve