Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default So so day in the shop

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:10:42 -0600, Ignoramus12283

On 2009-12-14, Mark Rand wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:12:07 -0600, Ignoramus12283

On 2009-12-14, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus12283 fired this volley in
:

Then I had a DUH moment and saw that they had a plastic film between
them to make them shatterproof.

It's called "laminated safety glass", Ig. It's the stuff they use in auto
windshields. Two sheets of glass with (originally) collodion filling
between... now an acrylic polymer.

Yes, I believe that it is the old style safety glass. The new
windshield glass is simply tempered, not two layered. As far as what I
know, they stopped using that glass years ago in cars.

It's very much used for windscreens and bullet proof glass. Now, why do you
suppose it might have been used for a grinder eye guard?

Yep, I was wrong.

It's possible that it'd be better to get a new one made up out of laminated
glass rather then polycarbonate. Might last longer before getting scratched
up.

I must admit that my bench grinder was made before people started getting grit
in their eyes!! ;-)

Mark Rand
RTFM