Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Dual Saw -- anyone use one?

On Dec 12, 1:44*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:14:04 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

But ultimately, this pos is just a 4.5" angle grinder, with a toothed
blade. $19 from HF.

Perhaps you didn't notice that this thing has two blades turning in
opposite directions. * That's a bigggg difference from an angle
grinder, and maybe a big difference in performance too.

First, how could one miss this? *The infomercial bleats about this almost
non-stop.

Second, note that unless one is plunge cutting *straight down*, one blade
executes a conventional cut, and the other a "climb" cut. This *immediately*
(at least in principle) poses a challenge to the anti-kick/grab claim. *Also
the fact that these two blades are cutting two different swaths of material
(albeit directly adjacent) poses a challenge to this claim.

Altho this would have to be tested, I can see a number of situations where
this anti-kick claim becomes handicapped -- IF it is significant to begin
with -- for example, in thick, tough material, and as per the above.
The only thing those spinning blades truly neutralize is angular momentum -- *
the gyroscope effect.

I find it most curious that you have such strong opinions on a tool
that you have never laid hands on. Your "*immediately* (at least in
principal)" translates to "I don't know", as do all of your
objections.
Amazon and epinions have lots of reviews on the tool - some people
like it, some don't. At least they have the good graces to give an
opinion after they've used the fookin thing.

If you're taking requests, I'd like to know your detailed opinion -
based on your usual surmise and conjecture - about which car I should
buy next (I'm in the market). There are so many cars to choose from
and, well, your ability to know all about something you've never
touched is close to miraculous. I appreciate the help.

Thanks.