Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default On the level

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

It appears that installing just about anything on a wall requiring more
than
1 screw or nail calls for a level. I did a project just the other day
without one, which I ended up doing twice.

... snip

While a level is sometimes important for such projects, there are other
times you don't want what you are mounting level, you want it parallel to
the ceiling (for a flat ceiling).

I was thinking about using my jointer plane (and others) on work in a vise
(or on the workbench). I thought I read that it was important that the work
be level,
and this makes sense to me for several reasons. One may be so that one may
use ones internal sense of "down" (i.e. gravity) to guide the cut. I speak
without
much experience; comments always welcome.

Bill