Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_2_] Steve B[_2_] is offline

Default So so day in the shop

"Carla Fong" wrote in message

Snag wrote:

Wes wrote:
I thought today would be a good one.

snip the woeful tale
Wes

Today was a pretty good day for me... catching up on long-deferred
maintenance...

I re-jiggered a couple of 8' florescent fixtures to fit in the 3.25"
between the ceiling and the roll-up door and got them installed, doubling
the light in that area. End of a 3-year project

I finished up the new compressed air distribution piping that's been
ongoing for a couple of weeks - we found a nice 80-gallon 5HP Sanborn (US
Made) compressor on craigslist for $400 (and almost destroyed it in the
process of moving it to its permanent location - don't ask). Now the
compressor lives outside where a bit of noise won't bother anyone, and we
have lots of available air. End of a 1-year project - Whee!

And I got around to troubleshooting and re-wiring the Hurco/Wells-Index
Frankenmill so the mist coolant system is actually connected to the 'mist'
control instead of getting mist when I select flood - turns out the wiring
was mis-labeled and it took a bit of poking around to see what was what.
Our manual for the machine is a copy of a copy so the wire and terminal
designations all look the same - very fuzzy. This has been wired wrong for
about 8 years, Woo Hoo!

I cleaned the gunk off the top of the DiAcro bender and gave it a fresh
protective coat of oil. Now I need to either find some storage space for
miscellaneous 'stuff' or throw it away, knowing full well that within a
week of tossing it out I will need whatever it is...

Here's a question: is there a shop tool to crimp fittings onto air hoses?
Either something to use a vise for crimping or a small hydraulic press?
I'd like to be able to make some short flexible whips to connect from the
rigid piping to various tools instead of the cheesy Harbor Freight $5
spiral flex hoses I found. I don't really trust that stuff with 175 psi,
even though they say "200" - yeah, right!

Carla

Welding shops make a crimper, and you can get a kit with lots of crimps. I
don't know the working pressure, you'd have to ask. It looks like a tuning
fork with little square blocks on the end. You position it, and one strike
from a hammer sets the crimp, you can't over do it. I like to get hoses
done professionally if I really need to depend on them, or where failure
could cause spew or damage or injury. They may have a crimper that would
fit your needs used, or at least get a good one from the gitgo that you can
trust.

Don't you love those five minute projects that it takes five years to get
aroundtuit?

Steve