Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Engineer's square

"Bill" wrote in message

"Steve Turner" wrote in message

I'd sure like to have a Lee Valley Imperial Micro-Adjust Marking Gauge
for Christmas, if anybody wants to get one for me:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...55&cat=1,42936

Did you read the fine print:
Due to the number of requests for a micro-adjust feature, we developed a
second model with a slightly longer body fitted with a two-stage collet
to allow fine adjustment of the cutting wheel. The collet has a
fine-pitch thread; one revolution advances or retracts the wheel 1/32",
a half turn 1/64", a quarter turn 1/128", etc. The knurled thumbscrew
then locks the setting.

Oh yeah, I've read it. Many times. :-)

Perhaps we could use our collective minds to develop the design for one
using a
a threaded steel rod.

The threaded steel rod is my (first) suggestion. A closer inspection
indicates that they have tapped the end to hold the cutter. Performing
that may not be so easy for those of us not adequately equipped, but
surely something could be screwed on the end instead. Take it away...

4 nuts (may as well choose them chrome plated) , placed two on each side of
cutter which ensure that the cutter could be removed for quick replacement
or sharpening.
Alternately, the two further from the end could be replaced by one brazed in
place.
One side of one of the nuts can be marked as a reference for adjustment of
the "fence".