Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Fastest way to remove rust and paint from flat steel surface

In article ,
Ignoramus22753 wrote:

I have a rectangular fuel tank that has some rust and flaking paint.

I want to remove both and re-prime and repaint, so that the tank looks
less menacing.

Attempts to do it with a wire brush on a 4.5" angle grinder were kind
of successful, but too slow and painful.

I would like to find a better way. I heard that some flap type disks
are better than wire brushes and are particularly good at this task.

I would not mind paying extra $$ for one if I can save two hours of
grueling labor.

Needle scalers are used for paint prep of navy ships, to remove heavy
layers of rust and paint.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1108

Unlike the flailing-wire rotary brushes, the needles are unlikely to be
launched and cause injury.

Buerste may have a knotted-wire brush to suit.

Joe Gwinn