Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames[_3_] Carl Ijames[_3_] is offline

Default Fastest way to remove rust and paint from flat steel surface/

Don't know about the paint but I'm a real believer in "Evapo-Rust" for
getting rid of rust. Harbor Freight and I think Autozone carry it. Best if
you can dip the parts in - just leave overnight without stirring or an hour
or so with agitation. They say you can soak a towel, place it on a flat
surface, and cover with plastic sheet to cut evaporation. Rewet the towel
and shift it around every hour or so. Haven't tried it yet but when I get
around to painting my trailer I will. Should work on your tank.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

"Ignoramus22753" wrote in message
I have a rectangular fuel tank that has some rust and flaking paint.

I want to remove both and re-prime and repaint, so that the tank looks
less menacing.

Attempts to do it with a wire brush on a 4.5" angle grinder were kind
of successful, but too slow and painful.

I would like to find a better way. I heard that some flap type disks
are better than wire brushes and are particularly good at this task.

I would not mind paying extra $$ for one if I can save two hours of
grueling labor.

Any ideas?