Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Selecting a Replacement Water Heater

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 19:34:30 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

Oren wrote:

i have seen tanks with flexible lines rock easily just by touching.
motion might cause a flex line blow out

If the heater rocked when touched, I think there would a problem other
than flex lines. Our code now requires an "earthquake" strap. I
skipped that step for now..

self installs are rarely code compliant. a good friends husband used
the flex couplings the heater can easily rock, he didnt bother putting
a line on the TP valve, saying it wasnt necessary. major scald issue,
the TP points toward a hallway of sorts in the basement

a real hack job that could hurt his family

Seems like your friend did a hack job, if the heater rocked easily -
regardless of flex lines?

All I lack is an earthquake strap. I'll put one on one of these days.

I replaced our WH earlier this year, using flexible connections. No
rocking that I can detect, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to add an
earthquake strap. But what do I strap it to? The original WH was not up
against a wall, and I put the new one in the same place. I guess I could
install a stud between a joist (unfinished ceiling) and the floor and
strap the WH to that. Comments?

We're in the Midwest.

Perce

The strap looks like this. Each end of the strap is anchored in the
wall stud. See instructions in the kit. A ten minute job or less.

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto...ation_Full.jpg