Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Fastest way to remove rust and paint from flat steel surface/

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 19:39:18 -0500, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

Those crazy-looking rotary scalers/brushes were readily available for a
couple of years (in the 70s, maybe), then almost unseen anywhere. I found
one at a flea market years ago, but don't know where it is right now.
Having used one of these tools, I can imagine that frequent injuries were
probably likely.

The wires were very coarse and high carbon, and could be resharpened with a
grinder, as you suggested. Better to grind them all the same length, though.

It wouldn't be very difficult to make a similar tool with a quantity of
allen/hex wrenches (with a loop or ring formed at one end) and a hub that
would allow them to swing. I haven't seen a source for hex wrenches like the
ones used in the folding multi-hex wrench type tool, but there may be some
of those available.

The one at hand is called a "Power Stripper" and was imported by
Consumers Distributing - a now defunct wholesale club operation.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada