Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Selecting a Replacement Water Heater

Jon Danniken wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

My State Industries electic, low profile, 40-gallon, six-year water
heater is almost 10 years old. I'm going to replace it before I have
a failure.

Are the water connections on the top of the unit standard spacing?
I'd like to install the replacement without having to do any
plumbing. The spacing appears to be the same as the ones I've seen
at Lowes, but it's really hard to tell for sure. The water heaters
at Home Depot were in cardboard boxes, so I could not see the
connections. Are the State units any better or worse than others?

In some places it is *required* to have flexible water connections to
the water heater, and even if it's not required it's probably not a
bad idea. If you have flexible connections there shouldn't be much of
a problem even if the connections on the new heater aren't exactly the
same as the those on the old one.

Perce

Aye, flexible is good. Get the corrugated copper ones, and make a mandrel
out of something to bend them around (like a round post or 3"-4" pvc/abs
pipe).

When you buy them, make sure you get the ones that haven't been "pre-bent"
by bored customers.

Jon

Hi.
Last time when tank was replaced I used corrugated copper ones. Swell job.