Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Engineer's square

Bill wrote:
"BobS" wrote in message

While the engineers squares at this price point are somewhat
accurate, save your money and get a Starrett Try Square (~$75) and
build a nice box for it. It is accurate enough (2 thou / 12") for
anything you'll align in your shop or want to measure. It will also
last you a lifetime and be a great tool to give to your
grandson/daughter one of these days. (that's when the wheels on the
walker are worn flat...;-)

Bob S.

I finally decided to "take the plunge". Seems like it will be
helpful in installing a woodworkers
vise on the benchtop I want to build (right?). Now I find out
neither Rockler nor Woodcraft
carry the 12" hardened-steel version (C33H-12-4R). Would have liked
to have found
it locally, but I can't seem to find a good source near Indianapolis.
I contacted Starrett
who gave me "two numbers to start with". The first one had been
disconnected. Evidently
there is more money to be made selling the 9.99 versions.

FWIW, Amazon has that model for 85 bucks and shipping.