Jay Windley

Default Plunge v Fixed Base Router

"Mark Dailey" wrote in message
igy.com...

| I guess I feel safer with the best tool sitting on a shelf
| than a mediocre one I use all the time.

Right. It depends on your personal perception of value. Since most power
tools are simply variations on the theme of whirling sharp metal blades
attached to powerful motors, having one presumably built to the highest
standards of safety and reliability would be a good thing. You don't
necessary want to hold a Fisher-Price router in your hands.

| I'm not a fan of cordless tools because I don't use them
| every day so I'm not likely to keep them charged and they
| won't be ready when I need them.

I have spare batts for all my tools. There's the batt in the tool and at
least one that's charged and ready in the toolchest. When a batt goes flat,
it goes right into the charger. I've never had a problem with getting
caught without batteries, but that's because I take precautions.

If you do most of your work at a bench, you probably don't need cordless
tools. But in addition to bench work I also do carpentry-type work where
you walk around a lot and climb up and down ladders. Being rid of that cord
is priceless under those circumstances.

| I'll make a mental note to not put my power tools in salt
| water. :P

Yep. Good safety tip.

| Did you see this site in one of the other threads?
| http://www.woodshopdemos.com/nprod-11.htm I definitely
| bookmarked it...

I did. I skimmed it, bookmarked it, and I'll be reading it carefully before
I go shopping.

--Jay