Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jw jw is offline

Default Kidde I-valve

On Dec 9, 8:51*am, Richard J Kinch wrote:
jw writes:
I would like to adapt the I-Valveto something more "normal" for now,
and then once the tank is empty put on a CGA-580valve.

The big problem you can't avoid is that a fire extinguishervalveis a
dip-tube dump type, since to put out a fire you want as much directed
mass flow as possible. *Connecting an ordinary gas regulator to this
liquid CO2 is asking for disaster.

Another warning is to not improvise high-pressure gas fittings unless
you can analyze and prove the strength of your work. *Absolutely do not
use plumbing fittings. *You do not want 75 lbs of liquid CO2 at 1000 psi
held in by a Chinese shrapnel tube designed to explode at 150 psi.

Calculate the joules represented by the containment of 75 lbs of CO2 as
warm liquid. *Now divide that by, say, the 5 seconds it takes to vent a
burst high-pressure dip-tube line, to get watts, and thence to
horsepower. *Humble yourself before that figure. *If you don't have the
brains to make that kind of calculation, then you shouldn't be messing
with this material.

It is rather like a 750 KV power line fell into your back yard. *Let's
just connect a transformer with some alligator clips to get some free
power. *Whee!

No reason to get condescending, but based on some of the questions I
have seen on this forum, no offense is taken. I have very high levels
of respect for compressed gases.

I was just hoping that there would be some reasonably cheap method to
adapt the plumbing of this setup. The "correct" I valve hood is ~$150
(more than the CO2 I'm attempting to salvage) There may be cheaper
sources. Worst case, I just dump the CO2 someplace vented and move on
with life...

JW