Jay Windley

Default Window Glazing

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
news |
| Somebody needs to build a better friggin' mousetrap.

I hear you. I learned glazing the hard way about a year ago trying to bring
a property I own up to code.

Do you have a glazing knife? If you're trying to do it with a standard
putty knife, you may find your knife is too flexible. The proper knife
really does help, especially on corners.

Make sure your rabbets are absolutely spotlessly clean. Rough them up to
give "tooth".

Warm the putty by rolling it in your hands until it's about the consistency
of bread dough. Keep mineral spirits and soap and water handy for when your
hands get all gooky, but don't get any on the glass, frames, or in the putty
itself.

Plan on breaking a pane or two while learning.

At the end of my exercise I wasn't a glazing expert either, but I did
acquire enough skill to press a line of putty from corner to corner without
having it peel away from the glass or the rabbet, or look like it was done
by a monkey.

Yes, there's a reason we don't do a lot of house windows that way anymore.

--Jay (a different one)