Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Paul[_27_] Paul[_27_] is offline

Default pc issue.. should I be worried?

I had a similar thing happen about 4-5 yrs again, with a P4 system I had. I
brushed my arm against the case one day, and felt a tingle.

Which, I knew didnt sound right. What happened in my case, was not only was
the power earthing the case, it was also frying the CPU (the system kept
crashing), and it was screwing up the videocard. If I turned it off and
disconnected the video cable, and touched the pins, they were live

I found out what the prob was after. The earth wire had come out of the
power point, it was plugged into. Lucky for me, I got onto Intel, who
replaced the CPU for free (the fried CPU had to go back to Malaysia to get
replaced). I used a lower spec CPU, in the meantime. The replacement took 2
weeks to come back. I had to replace the mobo tho. After that, it was all
good

"kronflux" wrote in message
okay, the subject is a little off, I -know- I should be worried.
here's the scoop.
basically I have an old pc, celeron or something here, which I was
using as a media PC, to watch my downloaded movies on my tv, with s-
video out and such.
anyway.
since around when I put it together, I was getting little shocks
occasionally from it. I don't know what it could be. every time it
happened, I got the shock from the case itself. and each time I
quickly unplugged the computer. once plugged back in, it didn't have
any problems.
recently I haven't been getting shocks at all, but just yesterday I
turned it on, and it was running for a while just idle, and I smelled
burning, and then it froze. I quickly rushed over and unplugged it,
and looked inside, and to my surprise there was a component on the
motherboard that was glowing red hot. I don't know what the component
is called, but here's a link to a picture of it, then a picture of the
motherboard to show reference as to where it is.
first I'd like to point out, part of my problem is likely dust and
dirt. but we'll get to that.
http://bayimg.com/image/bagagaaco.jpg
http://bayimg.com/image/fagakaaco.jpg

as I said, this component was glowing red hot. but! the computer turns
on just fine even now. it boots and everything.
aside from dust, what might have caused this, and should I be
concerned, once I clean it?