Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default To My Friends In South Texas This Evening

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:05:18 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Hayseuss Crisco, is that one inch rebar? Huh, a concrete foundation
supported off the ground, on piers?!? Whut up wi dat?

Clay soil, which is capable of heaving up to 24" in some parts of this
area. Engineered design spec, based on soil test, called for minimum 12"
void space under grade beams.

I routinely build what is known as a "structural slab, with void space"
foundation in this area (Houston, 150 mile SE of where the pictured site
was), we have a similar clastic clay herem and I usually use cardboard
cartons to establish the void space ... can't do that with a 24" x 24"
grade beam!

I rectum not.

Believe it or not, Min-Wax makes a 250 VOC compliant complement to their
normal stains. The client was dead set on Cherry235 in her color scheme,
but the 250 VOC compliant product is not for sale here, and Min-Wax
would NOT ship it to Texas ... go figure?

I called repeatedly, and systematically went up the chain of command, to
no avail.

Very weird! So, the client wants an all-natural house, except she
wants the wood to be desoiled with oogly reddish brown ****? Did I
get that right? sigh Figgers. Hmm, no, I guess not:
http://www.minwax.com/products/wood_...sh.html#Colors
That's not a bad color after all. Most wimmenfolks think cherry is
like this gawdawful sangria:
http://www.minwax.com/products/wood_...in.html#Colors

What's your clearcoat over that crap, NC lacquer?

I just left a message on Minwhacked's site asking why that color in
lo-VOC isn't available in TX and if it's available in OR. Stay tuned.

--
To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen
to what the world tells you you ought to prefer,