Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default To My Friends In South Texas This Evening

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 14:15:56 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Please expand on that if you will, Swingy. What's the nature of the
new waste?

Don't get me started ...

Project in question was alternative construction (straw bale wall)
house, green material as much as possible throughout. Notice the plywood
and framing material, steel and concrete going into just the foundation
of this single family, new residential construction, of less than 2500sf:

http://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/Foundation1#

Hayseuss Crisco, is that one inch rebar? Huh, a concrete foundation
supported off the ground, on piers?!? Whut up wi dat?

I've found that most of the new "green" products (the few
which are available around here) are about 50% higher in cost than
standard mat'ls, despite the trade mags showing only a 10% increase.
And look what it's done to the cost of finishes. Waterlox has doubled
in price since I last bought it, and their VOC-free finishes are
higher than that: $105 per gallon now!

We were going to use ureas formaldehyde, sustainable, bamboo plywood
wood in the cabinets and built-ins until we found out the budget busting
prices, upwards of $300/sheet.

You meant "urea/formaldehyde-free" didn't you? I've seen bamboo ply
for cabinets as low as $94/sheet. I haven't seen it up close, though.
But if the client wants it, just have them adjust their budget up for
it. It's only a grand more for a really beautiful kitchen.

Oddly enough, much of Home Depot's plywood (from Columbia Forest
Products) is made with urea formaldehyde free glue.

OK.

Lowe's has "Fresh Aire", no VOC, paint which we used on the interior of
this house ...I was quite happy with the results and the price wasn't
all that out of line with other premium indoor paints.

They've sure shot up recently, haven't they? Wow!

I tried to get other low or no VOC products/stains from them that they
advertise in other locales and was informed that they were not allowed
to ship these across state lines??

Still trying to figure that one out ....

Maybe they're taking Clintoon's stance, depending on what the meaning
of VOC is...

So, what brands are not shippable, please? I want to look into this
deeper.

--
To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen
to what the world tells you you ought to prefer,