Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Dual Saw -- anyone use one?

In article ,
"Existential Angst" wrote:

Awl --

I haven't, but for the life of me, all I see are *disadvantages* to this
gadget.

The first is, of course, cost.
This thing is triple the cost of a 7 1/4" circ saw, with blades that are 4-6
times the cost of std circ saw blades. Not to mention the lack of
availability.

Next, I can't see that it can do *anything* that a circ saw cannot do. In
fact, a lot less, and with a lot less accuracy.
The only ""advantage" is that the blade is teeny, so you have lower sfpm,
and can get away with cutting rebar, etc -- and I wonder for how long,
before the blade goes kaput.

It has no plate for straight cuts, no mitre, it is basically a 4 1/2"
grinder with a trim saw blade -- $19 from HF.
They never say what the blade size is, but it looks 4.5 - 5".

As always, the infomercial is highly misleading. You cannot do sink-type
cutouts without using a jig saw -- pure geometry of a circular blade.

True, it could reduce kickback, in case of a snag, or cutting unsupported
"in air", but I never had a problem with that either.

That "spark test" with gasoline was fraud.

Another infomercial hustle, afaict.

But if there are different experiences, do tell.

We've done the dual saw thread at least twice recently on a.h.r. Check
the archives.