Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_2_] Steve B[_2_] is offline

Default Antifreeze - not just for cars

"HeyBub" wrote

I don't understand. How can freezing of water in a p-trap present a
significant problem?

At my cabin, the floor is joists. All plumbing hangs under there, then goes
down to the septic tank.

Temperature in the nearby town was 0 last evening. 1,500 farther up at the
cabin, it varies from 10 to 15 degrees colder. So, it was below zero, not
just below 32 degrees, at the cabin. If I don't put RV antifreeze in all
the P traps, and make sure they have been flushed of water, I stand to have
substantial damage. I had a 3/4" copper line freeze on me last winter, and
the thing was open on the top end, so there was room for expansion.

I consider burst pipes a significant problem. YMMV.

Steve