Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne[_4_] Tom Horne[_4_] is offline

Default Antifreeze - not just for cars

On Dec 9, 10:58*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote in message

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Friend of mine, is acting as caretaker for a family member's
house. The power got shut off, and the house is cold inside.
Down to 37, last he checked. Four burneers on the stove for
an hour raises the temp two entire degrees.

Last night, we put RV antifreeze in the drain traps.
Toilets, sinks, showers. We considered the dishwasher. But
that hadn't run in six month or so, and probably the trap
dried out. Washing machine is in the cellar, and should stay
warmer.

For $3.97 that might be a lot cheaper than replacing a bunch
of broken pipes. I got to thinking. On the way home, I
bought myself a jug of antifreeze. Might never need it. But
it might be cheaper than replacing a bunch of pipes and such
if I need it here, or for a friend some day.

--
Christopher A. Young

Unless the drains were clogged, why would there be any water in them? And
what little is left in the traps would have plenty of room for expansion.
What you need to do is shut off the main water supply valve, and then
drain as much water as you can from the supply pipes by turning on ALL
the taps, especially the one in the laundry sink (in the basement), if
there is a tap down there.

Why is the power off? Reasons beyond the owner's control, or what?

the traps WILL break *duh.

If I put liquid in a glass jar, but leave enough headroom and don't tighten
the lid, I can put that jar in the freezer and the jar won't break because
there's room for expansion. With me so far?

After I run water in my sink or tub, the pipes end up empty except for a
very small amount in the U-shaped trap. Since there's plenty of room for
expansion (above and below), why should there be a problem? It certainly
couldn't HURT to use the anti-freeze, but the OP didn't mention shutting off
the water and draining the pipes. Seems to me that's where the real problems
will occur, since those pipes are under pressure and sealed (until they
break).

I assist with the maintenance at several church summer camps. Anytime
we do not antifreeze the traps they break. When that U shaped slug of
water freezes it expands in all directions and fractures the traps.
Your theory doesn't work in the real world. We blow all of the supply
lines down with compressed air so we have no trouble with those.
--
Tom Horne