Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon William Wixon is offline

Default Emerson Electric

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 05:24:32 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 9, 5:23 am, Hawke wrote:

You can thank the Unions for the destruction of America.

I was going to thank the workers in the third world who are doing what
used to be American jobs for what amounts to slave wages.

Hawke

The people to blame are the damn designers of ships. They designed
container ships that made it much cheaper to ship things. So now
instead of being a US economy, we are in a world economy.

Once the cost of shipping was lowered, the companies had no choice.
If they did not use the most economic way to produce goods, someone
else would have. And the " American " companies would be extinct.

Dan

===============
While tongue in cheek there is a grain of truth here.

Even more significant is the price controls and/or market
manipulation that keeps the marine heavy fuel oil prices far
below commercial or even production cost. If marine fuel costs
reflected the 70+$US per bbl oil costs the cost of shipping would
be much higher.

Somewhere shomehow there is a huge taxpayer or user subsidy
involved.

Unka George

thoroughly enjoyed that response unka george. :-)

b.w.