Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Emerson Electric

On Dec 7, 4:48*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Yooper" wrote in message

.. .

In article ,
says...

Have you heard the one about the gang-bangers at the desert pistol

range? That one was far more
imaginative. d8-)

*I think my favorite was his snow camping at minus 60 deg. *I was born
up here, been here 62 years, and it's never hit -60.

Mmm.. he musta used a different scale. g

--
Ed Huntress

Like when he tells the girls about his male enhancement. ;)

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 8, 1:13*am, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Or would you rather be a sheeple led around by your master?

TMT

Typical ad hominem argument.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus8601" wrote in message

I personally disagree with him trying to discount my political views
by bringing up where I came from. It makes it difficult to have a
meaningful discourse.

Also the part where he fantasizes that all the people he disagrees with will
be mass murdered in three years. That doesn't help either.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-08, ATP* wrote:

"Ignoramus8601" wrote in message

I personally disagree with him trying to discount my political views
by bringing up where I came from. It makes it difficult to have a
meaningful discourse.

Also the part where he fantasizes that all the people he disagrees with will
be mass murdered in three years. That doesn't help either.

Well, his time horizon keeps shifting, so I am not too worried about
it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-07, Ed Huntress wrote:
Perhaps you missed the part of gummer's post where he demonstrated yet
again that he should have paid more attention in grade school. He said
he's been paying taxes for 45 years, which would make him 11 when he
started.

There is two possibilities of his statement being true:

First off, that wasn't me you quoted. I don't call him gummer.

1) He may be referring to sales taxes

In 1963, Michigan's sales tax was raised to 6%. So maybe if was spending,
oh, say $90,000/year. That would be $5,400. Then the tax would go to pay for
all of the things in Michigan's budget that are paid for by sales tax.
Hmmm....maybe if he spent $900,000/year.

That's one hell of an allowance, or a really big paper route.

2) Maybe during childhood, he had some investments in his name and had
to pay taxes on capital gains and income.

Iggy, Iggy...please. d8-)

2 seems highly unlikely and 1 is questionable as to whether it
qualifies as taxes.

g No, I didn't miss it. I just don't waste time getting involved with
his...ah, stories anymore. If you wanted a good whopper, you may have
noticed in the past week how he had to drop his insurance in October
2008,
which means, if you followed closely and believed his many other
statements
on the subject, he had medical insurance for no more than 11 months of
the
past 8 years and now is rueing his ill fortune at having had a heart
attack
just three months after his insurance terminated. Have you heard the one
about the gang-bangers at the desert pistol range? That one was far more
imaginative. d8-)

I have not heard that one.

It was a beauty. Maybe it's still on Google Groups.

I only become annoyed at the constant bigotries and put-downs -- *
political,
geographical, etc. If that's what he needs to inflate his own self-image,
there's an entire literature on that subject and far be it from me to
tell
him what to do about it in his private life. When it becomes public and
it
sours the atmosphere, as it does here, I'll say something. Otherwise,
you'll
have to catch his whoppers on your own. There certainly are enough of
them
flying by to keep you busy.

I personally disagree with him trying to discount my political views
by bringing up where I came from. It makes it difficult to have a
meaningful discourse.

I was waiting for you to react to that. I had one hell of a message
pre-written, in case Gunner and Tom continued to gang up on you. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress- Hide quoted text -

Gunner and Tom gang up on Ig like a couple of bullies that they
are....they wouldn't do that would they?

Ig...hang tough...Ed isn't the only one in your corner. ;)

I consider you to be a valued member of this discussion group.

Tom and Gunner...well I think you know what I think of them.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
On Dec 6, 3:48 am, "Buerste" wrote:

On 2009-12-06, Buerste wrote:
Just keep in mind..that Iggy is in fact an ex communist from
Russia..and
as such...his entire mental background has been formed on the Soviet
ideal.

I cut him slack because of this defect in his thinking. He really cant
help it..its so deeply engrained into his world view that it colors
everything he sees and do.

All the "imports" I have known have embraced conservatism with gusto.
But,
they moved away from really bad situations.

I used to fit this description, until Bush attacked Iraq. This opened
my eyes.

You do mean Bush AND Congress, don't you? They ALL screwed up. But, blame
Bush alone if it makes you happy.- Hide quoted text -

You mean Bush and the Republican Congress.

TMT

Yep, but they weren't ALL Republicans.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
snip
Free government services? Which ones? And free healthcare? Ive paid
for those many many times in the past 45 yrs in taxes alone.

But hey...spew all you want. Im now a Democrat..and as such, deserve
everything the Party gives me. And you are bitching about it? Talk to
your masters in the DNC and complain.

Laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh!!

plink

Gunner

And if Obammy funding pays for that new road right through my plant, I'll
vote for him in 2012. Good GOD...I'm a Democrat too!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 18:58:49 -0500, "Ed Huntress"

m...
On 2009-12-07, Ed Huntress wrote:
Perhaps you missed the part of gummer's post where he demonstrated yet
again that he should have paid more attention in grade school. He said
he's been paying taxes for 45 years, which would make him 11 when he
started.

There is two possibilities of his statement being true:

First off, that wasn't me you quoted. I don't call him gummer.

1) He may be referring to sales taxes

Well, there was that soda he bought to drink when he was 10 and
marching with MLK.

[...]

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...344ad937ebb286

That really was a good one, but the
I-had-insurance-right-up-until-I-needed-it has to be one of his best,
If only because he used it *both* times that he needed major work
done. It's as if illness knew the exact perfect time to strike him.
OK, not the *perfect* time, considering that at least it wasn't -60.

[...]

You should have posted it. In gummer's mind, silence constitutes
approval and neutral responses equal adulation.

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 13:20:17 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 00:47:04 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

Free government services? Which ones? And free healthcare? Ive paid
for those many many times in the past 45 yrs in taxes alone.

Gunner

Jeez, Gunner, the way you're plonking everyone who makes you look foolish,
you'll soon be able to fit your whole little group into a couple of body
bags.

But no, you've never paid a fraction of your own healthcare. You've never
even paid the interest on it. What's actually happened is that you've just
become what you once despised, and now you're flopping like a flounder
trying to justify yourself.

Perhaps you missed the part of gummer's post where he demonstrated yet
again that he should have paid more attention in grade school. He said
he's been paying taxes for 45 years, which would make him 11 when he
started.

g No, I didn't miss it. I just don't waste time getting involved with
his...ah, stories anymore. If you wanted a good whopper, you may have
noticed in the past week how he had to drop his insurance in October 2008,
which means, if you followed closely and believed his many other statements
on the subject, he had medical insurance for no more than 11 months of the
past 8 years and now is rueing his ill fortune at having had a heart attack
just three months after his insurance terminated.

I called him on it when he first he made the claim some months ago. In
fact, IIRC I challenged him to post the premium receipts. A deadbeat
smoker with stents? If he'd given the lie a minute's thought he'd have
realized that no sensible reader would believe he could afford those
premiums. Hard to imagine that any company would take him at any
price. Besides, at this point I'd be surprised if he even has vehicle
insurance.

Have you heard the one
about the gang-bangers at the desert pistol range? That one was far more
imaginative. d8-)

That one was soooo typical of his BS. Plus, he says he can shoot 1000
yards on his acreage snorf, so why would he need a range in the
first place? Oh wait. he "hates" to walk out to set his own targets?
He likes to sit in front of the range office holding a box of puppies?

I only become annoyed at the constant bigotries and put-downs -- political,
geographical, etc. If that's what he needs to inflate his own self-image,
there's an entire literature on that subject and far be it from me to tell
him what to do about it in his private life. When it becomes public and it
sours the atmosphere, as it does here, I'll say something.

He's easily the worst spokesman that any cause could imagine. He
mentioned his "alternative income streams" once. Perhaps he's
positioning himself so that sane righties will cut him a monthly check
in exchange for his agreeing to never post another word.

Otherwise, you'll
have to catch his whoppers on your own. There certainly are enough of them
flying by to keep you busy.

There are way too many to read, much less keep track of. I'm getting a
bit miffed that he has yet to write up the tale of moving to Idaho,
Jed Clampett style. I feel a ballad coming on. What tune should I use?
:-)

Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus8601" wrote in message
om...
On 2009-12-07, Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

I think there is some bad math there.

``While only 1 out of 20 Citizens might be able to shoot well, that
means about 60 million Citizens would be shooting back, accurately and
rapidly at those they consider Bad Guy, Gangsters and so forth.''

Assuming we have 300 million Citizens (including women, children,
those that Gunner would consider to be bad Guy), etc, 1/20 of that is
15 million, not 60 million.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news:bLednWrNEsW0FoDWnZ2dnUVZ_sadnZ2d@giganews. com...
On 2009-12-07, Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Doing the math on Gunner's posts, other than for handloading or weighing
scrap iron, will give you a headache. It's best not to go there in the first
place. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Eregon wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote in news:a5cc7a67-5ce7-
:

Ever hear of going without?

And other AMERICAN companies who DO hire Americans do make comparable
products.

Ever hear of REALITY?

The Average American Consumer couldn't care less where a product is made
so long as it doesn't cost him very much.

This is proven by the failure of the many "Buy American" campaigns that,
with few exceptions, have failed miserably.

The FACT is that large US manufacturers are laying off American workers
in favor of paying a tenth of the over-bloated Union wages to workers who
happen to live where the taxes are cheap.

You can thank the Unions for the destruction of America.

I was going to thank the workers in the third world who are doing what
used to be American jobs for what amounts to slave wages. Yep, those
Vietnamese that work for ten cents an hour, my hat's off to them. Thanks
guys for taking the jobs from those lazy, good for nothing unionized
Americans. They don't deserve to live at what used to be the American
standard of living. They should work for less than a buck an hour if
they want a job. Of course, when the entire work force becomes
impoverished being an American won't be a source of pride like it used
to be. Aw, so what. Who gives a **** what happens to American workers?
Not management or ownership, that's for sure. Me neither. I already got
mine.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

I have always been supportive of taxes that reflect the level of
government spending. Unlike you, for example, I pay considerable
amount of taxes, so this support is not because I want others to pay
for something.

Of course Comrade. You came to America and want to change it to the very
nation you escaped from.

One strongly recommends you read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights
again and again until you see the flaws in your world view.

That's right. If you study those documents hard enough you just might
come to understand them as well as the brilliant scholar and expert on
government that Gummer is, lol. I think you have already got it far
better than our resident numskull has. The way it is now is that if
Gummer says something whatever the opposite of what he said is the
truth. If you want to know anything about our government just understand
whatever Gummer tells you, it's wrong.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Ignoramus26134 wrote:

The next question is why exactly they do so. Maybe it is because they
like downtrodden people? Or maybe it is accidental? Or, perhaps, maybe
it is because Republicans get donations from those welthy people?

I believe the idea that wealthy people are the major source of Republican funding is an
often repeated fallacy.

Do you now? Is your "belief" based on anything of consequence or just
ignorance? Today you can find out just about exactly where the financing
of republicans candidates comes from. I suggest instead of believing
something you should find out the fact then instead of believing you can
actually know. By the way, the source of funding for most republicans
does come from wealthy individuals and corporations. Don't believe it?
You can find out or you can remain like most right wingers in ignorant
bliss.

In any case, as you pointed out, eventually we have to pay for
everything.

That is true. I want to know just how much I am paying for that everything.

There is an art of hiding the knife in politics when it comes to taxes. They want the
money, they just don't want you to see where it came from for fear you will revolt.

Wrong again, the U.S. has a budget and guess what? Yes, it's public. You
can find out where your tax dollars are going if you really want to
know. Unfortunately, there are five big things that eat up over 90% of
all the money the government takes in. So they are what's important. The
stuff most people complain about is really small potatoes.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Buerste" wrote in message
"Ignoramus26134" wrote in message

snip
Republicans like corporations and "the wealthy" to pay less income
taxes.

Interesting, most of Obama's cabinet were caught with "mistakes" on their
returns.

The next question is why exactly they do so. Maybe it is because they
like downtrodden people? Or maybe it is accidental? Or, perhaps, maybe
it is because Republicans get donations from those wealthy people?

Interesting, do you know that Wall Street donated to Democrats by
something like a 4-to-1 ratio? The falacy is that the "wealthy" are
Republicans when the fact is the "wealthy" are largely Democrats.

Wall Street goes with the winner, and they're smart enough to realize it
would be a Democrat that would win in 2008.

You can look up the final figures if you're interested, but as of Mar. 2008,
it looked like this, counting the securities and investment industry; their
employees; and their PACs:

Clinton: $6.29 million
Obama: 6.03 million
McCain: 2.59 million

But they don't care which party the winner is coming from; they just want to
be on board with the winner. Here's how it's looked in other recent
presidential elections:

2004:

Bush: $8.8 million
Kerry: 4.3 million

2000:

Bush: $4.0 million
Go 1.4 million

They're neither Democrats nor Republicans. What they are is Winners -- or
whores, as you prefer.

Don't be blinded by your bias.

And don't be blinded by yours, Tom.

Horses, barn door, too late.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-06, Buerste wrote:
Just keep in mind..that Iggy is in fact an ex communist from Russia..and
as such...his entire mental background has been formed on the Soviet
ideal.

I cut him slack because of this defect in his thinking. He really cant
help it..its so deeply engrained into his world view that it colors
everything he sees and do.

All the "imports" I have known have embraced conservatism with gusto. But,
they moved away from really bad situations.

I used to fit this description, until Bush attacked Iraq. This opened
my eyes.

That's the difference between you and those guys. Nothing will open
their eyes.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Sad attempt by Gunner to smear Ig noted.

It didn't work.

Ig is a credit to America.

Gunner is a smear of roadkill.

The end result of a Conservative Cull that is currently occurring.

TMT

They did cull themselves out of the government, didn't they?

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Dec 7, 9:13 am, F. George McDuffee gmcduf...@mcduffee-
associates.us wrote:
On 05 Dec 2009 19:35:08 GMT, Eregon wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote in news:a5cc7a67-5ce7-
:
Ever hear of going without?
And other AMERICAN companies who DO hire Americans do make comparable
products.
Ever hear of REALITY?
The Average American Consumer couldn't care less where a product is made
so long as it doesn't cost him very much.
This is proven by the failure of the many "Buy American" campaigns that,
with few exceptions, have failed miserably.
The FACT is that large US manufacturers are laying off American workers
in favor of paying a tenth of the over-bloated Union wages to workers who
happen to live where the taxes are cheap.
==You can thank the Unions for the destruction of America.==

============
While this may sound plausible, the workforce at AIG and Lehman
Brothers were not unionized, particularly in their offshore
operations where most of their troubles (and profits) seemed to
originate, and they did not go into bankruptcy because of
excessive labor costs.

It is not logical to blame the current economic and long-term
industrial/manufacturing problems of the United States on the
high wages paid to one group of corporate employees [blue collar]
while characterizing attempts to limit the wages of another group
of corporate employees [officers, managers and directors] as some
sort of communist plot or socialism.

It is well to remember that when the wages of employees are cut,
you also largely cut the taxes that they pay by the same amount.
Even the main stay of local government, the real estate property
tax, will be hit because the individuals and their families can
no longer afford to live in houses, and the revenue from the
state sales and income tax will also drop by about the same
amount.

Cutting wages not only reduces tax revenues, which the remaining
producers must attempt to make up through higher rates, but also
greatly increases the demand for governmental services such as
food stamps, WIC and low income (subsidized) housing.

The city of Detroit and the state of Michigan are prime examples
of what happens with significant wage reductions.

In general, cheap labor is too expensive for the majority of
citizens, although it may benefit the few, and this only until
their tax bills arrive, or they need a public service such as
police or fire.

While shells of these organizations still exist, the Teamsters,
the Steel Workers, and the UAW have all been operationally
broken, but the promised economic "rapture" has still not
arrived. This strongly indicates the operation of the old adage
"I cut it off twice and its still too short."

While exceptions do exist, it appears that organizations
generally get [or got] the [type of] union they asked for and
deserved, and the executives that howl the loudest about union
excesses are the same ones the unions are most closely imitating
in extracting excessive compensation, including wages, from the
company, regardless of personal performance.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).- Hide quoted text -

Well said.

It took me a few years to come to the same realization.

The union red herring that others like to parade out doesn't work on
me anymore.

TMT

What people forget is that there never would have been any unions if the
owners had not mistreated their employees so badly. All you have to do
is look at U.S. history and how the labor movement came to be. Even an
idiot can see that if the employers had treated their workers like human
beings they never would have formed unions. So the businessmen created a
climate that brought about the unions. But it was the unions that gave
America the highest living standard in the world. Now the unions are
weak look at us. Our living standards are no longer going up and just
about everyone is poorer than they were a decade ago. I credit the
downward trend to Reagan, Bush, and Bush. Conservativism failed, it took
away prosperity rather than improved it.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 9, 5:23*am, Hawke wrote:

You can thank the Unions for the destruction of America.

I was going to thank the workers in the third world who are doing what
used to be American jobs for what amounts to slave wages.

Hawke

The people to blame are the damn designers of ships. They designed
container ships that made it much cheaper to ship things. So now
instead of being a US economy, we are in a world economy.

Once the cost of shipping was lowered, the companies had no choice.
If they did not use the most economic way to produce goods, someone
else would have. And the " American " companies would be extinct.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 05:24:32 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 9, 5:23*am, Hawke wrote:

You can thank the Unions for the destruction of America.

I was going to thank the workers in the third world who are doing what
used to be American jobs for what amounts to slave wages.

Hawke

The people to blame are the damn designers of ships. They designed
container ships that made it much cheaper to ship things.

Didn't that all come out of WWII shipping of materiel, and then from
converted surplus oil tankers applied to the commercial market?

So, it's really a kind of blowback.

So now
instead of being a US economy, we are in a world economy.

Once the cost of shipping was lowered, the companies had no choice.
If they did not use the most economic way to produce goods, someone
else would have. And the " American " companies would be extinct.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Dec 9, 5:23*am, Hawke wrote:

You can thank the Unions for the destruction of America.

I was going to thank the workers in the third world who are doing what
used to be American jobs for what amounts to slave wages.

Hawke

The people to blame are the damn designers of ships. They designed
container ships that made it much cheaper to ship things. So now
instead of being a US economy, we are in a world economy.

Once the cost of shipping was lowered, the companies had no choice.
If they did not use the most economic way to produce goods, someone
else would have. And the " American " companies would be extinct.

Dan

===============
While tongue in cheek there is a grain of truth here.

Even more significant is the price controls and/or market
manipulation that keeps the marine heavy fuel oil prices far
below commercial or even production cost. If marine fuel costs
reflected the 70+$US per bbl oil costs the cost of shipping would
be much higher.

Somewhere shomehow there is a huge taxpayer or user subsidy
involved.

Unka George

(George McDuffee)

The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 21:30:07 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

I have always been supportive of taxes that reflect the level of
government spending. Unlike you, for example, I pay considerable
amount of taxes, so this support is not because I want others to pay
for something.

i- Hide quoted text -

Spoken like a responsible American.

=============
The unfortunate truth is that no matter how much money is
collected in taxes, the historical record shows that government
over time *ALWAYS* spends more than it collects, regardless of
the form of government and sources/amounts of tax revenue.

Unka George

(George McDuffee)

The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 17:16:05 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Dec 7, 9:17*am, F. George McDuffee gmcduf...@mcduffee-
associates.us wrote:
On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 08:29:28 -0500, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus26134 wrote:

The next question is why exactly they do so. Maybe it is because they
like downtrodden people? Or maybe it is accidental? Or, perhaps, maybe
it is because Republicans get donations from those welthy people?

I believe the idea that wealthy people are the major source of Republican funding is an
often repeated fallacy. *

In any case, as you pointed out, eventually we have to pay for
everything.

That is true. *I want to know just how much I am paying for that everything.

There is an art of hiding the knife in politics when it comes to taxes. *They want the
money, they just don't want you to see where it came from for fear you will revolt.

Wes

=========
This goes to the heart of the free enterprise system in that a
consumer can make a rational choice only if they know what the
total product/service cost is. *

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).- Hide quoted text -

Agreed.

And the fact that companies hard to hide that information should be a
big red flag for every consumer.

TMT

=============
As indicated in another thread, this in most cases is called
"cost externalization." As long as any business is allowed to
shift their costs to someone else, they will do so in order to
maximize their profits. This is the nature of business and does
not [necessarily] imply the existence of a plot or conspiracy.

The shift from small scale local operations/organizations to
multinational corporations has greatly amplified and exacerbated
the problem of "cost externalization" and the parallel problem of
"transfer pricing" where profits are shifted to the jurisdictions
with the lowest or no taxes, and the costs are shifted to the
areas with the highest cost and tax deductions.

The basic/root problem appears to be that the economy/financial
system has become so complex that no one understands it, and it
is therefore impossible to regulate and control. What must be
done is obvious, but doing it may well be impossible, i.e. the
genie is out of the bottle and he ain't going back.

Unka George

(George McDuffee)

The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 23:25:37 -0500, "Buerste"
wrote:

Making CEO compensation a function of USA (labor and content) sales
would go a long ways to adjusting attitude.

TMT
************************************************* ****
.
If you don't like a company's methods, don't buy their products. If a
company's products cost too much due to a CEO's pay, they won't be
competitive. Your communist ways don't work.

===========
Another "sounds good, but," statement.

The problem in this case is determining the "cost" of the
product. To be sure a definite sum is required when the item or
service is purchased, but with the proliferation of "cost
externalization," "transfer pricing," and governmental subsidies
at several levels/stages, it is no longer possible in most cases
to even roughly estimate the actual total "life cycle" cost of a
product/service to the end user.

Unka George

(George McDuffee)

The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message

[...]

your post made me wonder, what's the next step? where do we go from here?
corporations felt they had to move off shore to remain competitive. how
long is it going to take before their competitiveness diminishes even being
off shore? where are they going to go when that happens? they're just
going to keep skipping around the globe to continually exploit low cost
labor? at some point is there going to be a world wide labor union?
i remember reading something about japan establishing shrimp farms in
philippines. for a while the filipinos were making good money and were
happy, then japan established shrimp farms in vietnam and the bottom fell
out of shrimp prices. the filipinos had to work like dogs to make a profit.
is it ever going to be possible for nations to collude to favor workers? or
nations getting together to protect their local environment (example,
bophal, india).

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 15:27:52 -0600, "William Wixon"
wrote:
snip
The basic/root problem appears to be that the economy/financial
system has become so complex that no one understands it, and it
is therefore impossible to regulate and control. What must be
done is obvious, but doing it may well be impossible, i.e. the
genie is out of the bottle and he ain't going back.

Unka George

your post made me wonder, what's the next step? where do we go from here?

==========
And herein is the core problem.

It does not appear to me that this is due to any capitalistic or
illumanati cabals, but rather the extremely rapid growth and
development of the transnational corporation (which is
increasingly "off shore" at all points and answerable to no
governmental authority), which in turn is largely based on the
quantum jumps in communications and computers.

To me at least, the current socio-economic and governmental
systems have gone "rogue" and are completely
unsustainable/unjustifiable, however in fairness this may well be
due to the complete obsolescence of existing legal and regulatory
frameworks, and the outstripping of any social/cultural
experence/models by the leaps in corporate organization and
communications, i.e. gross incompetence and simple impotence
rather than venality.

Roughly the same thing occurred in European culture with the
introduction of distilled alcohol. This *SMALL* change in
technology utilization resulted in chaos in most countries.
For some examples see
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...ed=0CBoQsAQwAA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hogarth
This was not limited to the UK and the term "schnapps teufel" was
widely know in the German speaking areas.

The socital-economic-cultural changes caused by just the
improvements in communications and corporate organization are far
more pervasive, and appear to compare with the introduction of
"mass production" and/or the rise of the nation-state.

FWIW -- It should be noted that a successful parasite does not
kill its host least it die also. A much more successful and
durable relationship is symbiosis where both parties contribute
to the long life, well being and vigor of the host.

Unka George (George McDuffee)
Every gun that is fired, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense,
a theft from those who hunger and are not fed,
those who are cold and are not clothed.
The world in arms is not spending money alone.
It is spending the sweat of its labourers,
the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), U.S. general,
Republican politician, president. Speech, April 1953, Washington, D.C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Dec 9, 5:23 am, Hawke wrote:

[...]

thoroughly enjoyed that response unka george. :-)

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Many years ago I played a pick-up round of golf with a guy who turned
out to work for one of the big electronic chip companies. He talked
about having worked in Korea, The Philippines, now in Indonesia and
went on to say that likely he would be moving back to the States one
day.

I asked him about this work history and he told me that the company
set up in a backward country where salaries were cheap and moved after
some years when the local economy grew. He said that one day they
would run out of these developing countries and move back to the U.S.
I asked how they could do that if their business depended on cheap
costs and he replied "robots".

Think about it for a bit, if low salaries are the answer.... why not
eliminate the cost item entirely...

Regards,

J.B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 9, 5:19*pm, F. George McDuffee gmcduf...@mcduffee-
associates.us wrote:

While tongue in cheek there is a grain of truth here. *

Even more significant is the price controls and/or market
manipulation that keeps the marine heavy fuel oil prices far
below commercial or even production cost. *If marine fuel costs
reflected the 70+$US per bbl oil costs the cost of shipping would
be much higher.

Somewhere shomehow there is a huge taxpayer or user subsidy
involved.

Unka George

I do not agree. Marine Heavy Fuel Oil is produced as part of oil
refining. It and some other products as microcrystalline wax are by
products and have almost no value. The refiners manage to avoid
disposal costs, but there is not much demand in relation to the
supply. The stuff is so thick that it has to be heated before it can
be burned in marine engines.

Dan

(George McDuffee)

The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:
[...]

Either the people and their governments are going to control the
corporations or the corporations are going to control them. The
corporations have no conscience and don't care a whit about the lives of
people, only profits. People and their representatives (governments) do
care about their lives and their environment. There is no middle ground.
One side is going to control or the other. If the corporations continue
to dominate and get even stronger I feel sorry for the people of the
world. For their sake the corporations have to be controlled. It's all
about who has the power. The people better assert power over
corporations or they are going to be very sorry they didn't.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 11, 6:32*am, Hawke wrote:

Either the people and their governments are going to control the
corporations or the corporations are going to control them. The
corporations have no conscience and don't care a whit about the lives of
people, only profits. People and their representatives (governments) do
care about their lives and their environment. There is no middle ground.
One side is going to control or the other. If the corporations continue
to dominate and get even stronger I feel sorry for the people of the
world. For their sake the corporations have to be controlled. It's all
about who has the power. The people better assert power over
corporations or they are going to be very sorry they didn't.

Hawke

As a true believer you see only black and white. Corporations are run
by people. Most care about the lives of people, but there are bound
to be those that do not. Governments are also run by people. Some
care and some do not. My estimate is that there are more uncaring
people in government. Don't believe me, go down to you local DMV.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 20:52:43 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 00:47:04 -0500, Ed Huntress wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 22:42:34 -0500, "ATP*"
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 14:53:50 -0500, "Buerste"
"Ignoramus26134" wrote in
message ...

snip
Republicans like corporations and "the wealthy" to pay less income
taxes.

Interesting, most of Obama's cabinet were caught with "mistakes" on
their
returns.

The next question is why exactly they do so. Maybe it is because
they like downtrodden people? Or maybe it is accidental? Or,
perhaps, maybe it is because Republicans get donations from those
wealthy people?

Interesting, do you know that Wall Street donated to Democrats by
something
like a 4-to-1 ratio? The falacy is that the "wealthy" are Republicans
when
the fact is the "wealthy" are largely Democrats.

Don't be blinded by your bias.

True indeed.

Just keep in mind..that Iggy is in fact an ex communist from
Russia..and as such...his entire mental background has been formed on
the Soviet ideal.

I cut him slack because of this defect in his thinking. He really cant
help it..its so deeply engrained into his world view that it colors
everything he sees and do.

So the ex-communist is making a go of it in this capitalistic system and
paying taxes and you are leeching off the system, getting free
government services and free healthcare. Kind of ironic.

Free government services? Which ones? And free healthcare? Ive paid
for those many many times in the past 45 yrs in taxes alone.

But hey...spew all you want. Im now a Democrat..and as such, deserve
everything the Party gives me. And you are bitching about it? Talk to
your masters in the DNC and complain.

Laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh!!

Jeez, Gunner, the way you're plonking everyone who makes you look foolish,
you'll soon be able to fit your whole little group into a couple of body
bags.

Liberals don't recognize sarcasm either?

Nope...they think their lies are real and reality is a lie.

Libs are really messsed up people.

Gunner

Thanks,
Rich

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 17:09:29 -0600, Ignoramus8601
wrote:

I only become annoyed at the constant bigotries and put-downs -- political,
geographical, etc. If that's what he needs to inflate his own self-image,
there's an entire literature on that subject and far be it from me to tell
him what to do about it in his private life. When it becomes public and it
sours the atmosphere, as it does here, I'll say something. Otherwise, you'll
have to catch his whoppers on your own. There certainly are enough of them
flying by to keep you busy.

I personally disagree with him trying to discount my political views
by bringing up where I came from. It makes it difficult to have a
meaningful discourse.

Iggy iggy iggy....I find it marvelous that you came to the US from the
USSR. I welcome you with open arms! Tovarish!!

What you are stingning about is my commentary that you never did
completely take Capitalism into your heart...you still have a strong
socialist streak you may not be aware of. So I use Comrade etc etc when
it pops up as an indicator that on that subject...you are not completly
"here" yet.

Sorry if you didnt understand this. I had assumed you did. I know others
here have.

Shrug

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:23:25 -0600, Ignoramus8601

On 2009-12-08, ATP* wrote:

"Ignoramus8601" wrote in message

I personally disagree with him trying to discount my political views
by bringing up where I came from. It makes it difficult to have a
meaningful discourse.

Also the part where he fantasizes that all the people he disagrees with will
be mass murdered in three years. That doesn't help either.

Well, his time horizon keeps shifting, so I am not too worried about
it.

Really? "Less than 3 yrs" is a shifting horizon?

Fascinating.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Thu, 17 Dec 2009 09:53:37 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

On 2009-12-08, ATP* wrote:

"Ignoramus8601" wrote in message

I personally disagree with him trying to discount my political views
by bringing up where I came from. It makes it difficult to have a
meaningful discourse.

Also the part where he fantasizes that all the people he disagrees with will
be mass murdered in three years. That doesn't help either.

Well, his time horizon keeps shifting, so I am not too worried about
it.

Really? "Less than 3 yrs" is a shifting horizon?

Fascinating.

"The development of a true AI system can be expected in about five
years. Always has been, always will be."

That is a "shifting horizon". "Less than three years", "Within
three years", "some time in the next two to three years" - those
aren't so much shifting as broadly defined. I recall learning that
distinction, so to speak, way back when, when the projecting were
presented as "close order of 50 years." 'That means more than five,
less that 500 years?' "Much less."

The alternative, is to give a date. "By 2012" "By 2020" "By
Friday." (didn't say which Friday, did I?)

toodles
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Ignoramus26134 wrote:

Emerson products usually are not immediately visible to a buyer of any
product. I would not expect anyone to stop buying goods with Emerson
products just because its CEO threw a hissy fit at some conference.

IIRC, Emerson made the Rigid brand of power tools for Homedespot and other box stores.
They also make a lot of motors.

Emmerson made both of my 'Craftsman' table saws.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.