Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Lathe purchase advice sought

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 21:45:16 -0800, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

snip
And I am old enough not to believe everything I read on the internet :-)
I guess I am still hoping that those carbide cutters are actually good for
*something*.

Need to cut some HSS, maybe an old tap/die? That would be a
good place to try them out.

I broke off an "Easy-out" maybe a year ago. Not only did I
have a broken off, stuck bolt, but also a hardened easy-out
in the way. Sigh... Remembered I had a small carbide cutter
that fit my Dremel Tool, never done much with it, had it
around for +10 years. Kinda slow going, sparks flew, but it
chewed through the easy-out. Then I kept going and chewed
through two sides of the stuck bolt too. Should have done
that in the first place

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b