Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Speaking of broken spark plugs...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

My ex's 1999 Subaru Legacy (4 cyl, 126K miles) began making some nasty
noises in the motor a week ago. She drove it 2 blocks and it's been
sitting in the driveway ever since, while she ponders what to do.
Except for warranty work, It's been maintained by one very competent
mechanic throughout its life. He's hesitant to mess with it because he
says that evaluation could require major engine disassembly which
could cost so much that no sane owner would want to even go that far
just to find out that the car is toast. Car is in otherwise excellent
condition.

So, ***if*** we were dealing with a spark plug which was broken due to
incorrect length, wouldn't that have happened almost immediately after
the plugs were installed? Assuming yes, what else are we left with?
Right length, wrong plug (temperature)? Wrong torque? Defective plug?
Seems like some things could point to the mechanic, as unlikely as
that seems based on his track record. Or, manufacturer.

Any other thoughts on this?

Who knows? But pulling the plugs and looking at them might tell a lot
although pulling the plugs can be involved in itself on some vehicles.
I'm sure any decent shop has a camera they can put in the hole to look
inside the cylinder. I mean they have cameras they can run in house
pipes, in your veins, in your pecker and up your can.

Nasty noises in the motor could be anything from bad gas to bad bearings.
rings, crank, valves and cams. And all these computer chips can make a
vehicle do weird stuff too. Gee I miss my simple 77 GMC and 61 Falcon.

Anyway, if mechanic is a high suspect, whoever does the diagnostic has to
be credible on paper if she plans on going back at the mechanic for
compensation.