Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default 220 V table saws and ground

I'm a bit confused. All of you are correctly worried about the
ground etc... Doesn't it bother anybody that the electrician ran a
#10 wire to the shop for a 30 amp circuit? I thought #10 was for 20
amps and #8 was the minimum for 30 amps. Am I wrong about that??

You're off by one size/gauge --

14 for 15A, 12 for 20, 10 for 30 is "nominal"

Depending on length of run, for the feeder one might choose to bump up a
size to 8 to minimize voltage drop but the #10 is adequate for the 30A
breaker (assuming the 'lektrishun followed the rules on conduit size,
etc., etc., etc., ... which one would presume would have done).