Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] l-lopez@uiuc.edu is offline

Default 220 V table saws and ground

On Dec 8, 1:28*am, sibosop wrote:
I realize this isn't exactly a woodworking question, but when I asked
about 220 V wiring for my shed in an earlier thread a lot of
electricians came out of the 'woodwork'.

So. I now have 220 V in my shed for my Walker Turner table saw. I
noticed that the plug from the saw only has two wires. The ground is
not connected. *My shed has a ground stake.
Should I run the ground wire to the saw? It certainly has a whooping
iron chasis.
Should I not do this?

(For those of you who helped me the last time, I finally decided to
get an electrician to wire it. He took the 220V
line from my 30 amp circuit for the house drier (I have a gas drier,
so I don't use it), ran #10 wires out to a 30 amp
breaker panel in the shed, split out two 110V circuits and a 20 amp
220v and put in a ground stake. This took him
6 hours. It would have taken me about 2 months).

thanks,

I'm a bit confused. All of you are correctly worried about the
ground etc... Doesn't it bother anybody that the electrician ran a
#10 wire to the shop for a 30 amp circuit? I thought #10 was for 20
amps and #8 was the minimum for 30 amps. Am I wrong about that??

Len