Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default 220 V table saws and ground

"dpb" wrote in message
EXT wrote:

That is right. You only need a neutral when you need dual voltage as in a
dryer or stove. 240V (no longer 220 volt) only equipment such as motors
only need the two hot wires and a ground. ...

I just kept w/ Leon's values -- there's really ime no telling what any
given locale will be running as actual voltages...

Snip

Hey It is hard to tell what the voltage is any more. LOL. 2 weeks ago
"after" having 3 new leads run underground to my home, I lost electricity in
1/2 of my house and had no 240? ;!) I started having issues with lights
diming.

I used a volt meter to check the voltage on the side of the house that I had
previousely been dead and got 105 volts on about half the recepticals. The
other half showed 138 volts.

The common neutral that was dedicated to my house and 3 neighbors had rusted
and was causing the dimming problem for all of us. The light company came
out and replaced the "thang" that attached the neutrals to the 4 houses.

Every thing went back to 122 volts after the repair.