Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How often do you check the setup of your TS?

I think you get to know your equipment and only experience will tell
how often you "need" to check stuff.

I almost always check my miter guage. Since I have gone to a newer
fence I checked it every few days at first but found it was holding
quite well. So now I just check it after running some big sheet goods
or orther things that might stress the setup. After I dialied in the
top to the blade (to within 1/1000th) I checked it every few weeks and
saw little to no movement, so now I would only check it if I started
to see some burn or hear the back of the blade start to sing at the
tail end of a cut.

On Dec 7, 6:15*pm, "Bill" wrote:
Motivated by reading another thread (s), I have been reading about "TS
setup": *Checking that the fence and blade are perp to the top, and that the
mitre track is parallel to the blade and the fence. *If I'm overlooking
anything major, besides making sure the saw is unplugged, please mention it!
: )

Based on what I've read I would probably use a combination square for the
first task, and a piece of wood with a brass screw for the latter (or a dial
indicator?) along with a mallet if necessary.

I just found this link and found it refreshingly down-to-earth:http://www..thewoodshop.20m.com/calibrate_sled1.htm

So that brings me to what I wrote in the subject line: *"How often do you
check the setup of your TS?"

To me, someone who doesn't yet own a TS, it seems that the fence is the
least stable part of the system, assuming one doesn't tamper with the angle
of the blade. *Do you check your fence as suggested above everytime you move
it? *Or, only if you have a cheap fence, or something else? * A "Magnetic
Angle Cube" seems a nice way of setting the blade angle.

From what I have seen, a dial indicator might be a nice item to have. *Is
there one which "makes sense"?
Seems like with repeated use too that the above mentioned "brass screw"
might take a toll on the fence..

Bill