Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default Lathe purchase advice sought

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , spaco wrote:
I guess I'd ask what your budget is,

Six hundred, give or take.

how much room you have

Main limitation, actually, is the need to take it down a basement stairs.

and what you
want to do in the future. In my not-so-humble opinion, unless you do a
LOT of very small work where you need extremely high spindle speeds, I'd
get a 10 or 12 inch lathe with a 3 foot bed and quick change gear box,
at least.

Small work is all I plan to ever do -- doubtful I'll ever turn anything large
enough to need a 10x36.
How quickly do you need the lathe? Are you looking at Craig's List or
posting a "wanted" ad there?

No real rush. I've been looking at Craig's List. Haven't posted a wanted ad
yet, but I guess that's the logical next step.

Doug, I have 3 working lathes set up -
7x14 MicroMark Minilathe
9x17 Logan
10x24 Enco - 25-year-old Chinese

I find myself doing 90% of my "work" on the 10x24.
I think I could get it down into a basement with some care and a couple
helpers. So based on that, I'd suggest you looked seriously at that
10x24 Grizzly

But any of the above can be resold without minimal loss if you find it
doesn't work for you.

I confess that the minilathe is the most recent acquisition. It's the
3rd of those I've had. Can't stay away from them.