Posted to rec.woodworking
CW[_5_] CW[_5_] is offline

Default Engineer's square

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
On Nov 25, 2:39 am, "CW" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in
"Bill" writes:

How do the Groz engineer's squares measure up for setting up a TS, BS,
etc?
Rockler has them (set of 3) on sale for $29.99 instead of $39.99.

I found that a nice 4" double square is a pleasure to use, and very
handy.
They usually go for $40, but I've seen sales for $20.

I use that more than a fixed engineering square.

If you wish to check that your TS blade is vertical, for instance, do
you
just use the base of the double square?
It would appear that the base has the potential to have more "integrity"
than the angle it forms with the rule.

If the angle it forms with the rule is not square, return it or throw it
away. If I were in your position, I would buy a GOOD combination square a
they are very versatile. You won't find a good one at Home Depot. I would
suggest Starrett (though I have a Mititoyo). There are several top end
combo
squares that are as accurate as a Starrett but Starrett will, at a very
reasonable charge, fix it if you damage it. Expect to pay $75 to $100 for
it. Seems expensive but well worth it. The cheap ones that you find at
your
local home center are near useless. When setting up a machine, you need
accuracy. If the machine is not set up right, it will transfer this
inaccuracy to the work piece. After making many pieces, all the errors
will
ad up to the point things won't fit. This is particularly bad for the less
experienced as they may not know what the problem is, They will likely
think
it is something they're doing wrong when it really is a badly set up
machine. You often here people say within 1/64 is close enough for
woodwork.
For some things it is but for many things, 1/64 off might as well be a
mile.- Hide quoted text -

Where do you rate a proper dovetail?

If I get what you are asking, 1/64 out on a dovetail might as well be a
mile. Many people would be amazed at the tolerances that have to be held for
joints such as dovetails, box joints, mortise and tennon et.Got to admire
guys that can hand cut really nice joints. I've hand cut dovetails. They
worked but were anything but nice fitting, not to mention being ugly.