Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Mains Water Pressure. What is "typical"?

Ron Lowe
wibbled on Sunday 06 December 2009 19:46

Vortex5 wrote:
Today I measured my incoming mains water pressure to be a little over 10
bar. About 145 PSI. About 100 metres "head"

Quite honestly I was surprised because instinctively I would have
expected it to be somewhat lower. What is normal though? Is 10 bar
unusual?

It's never especially bothered me because I have an IMI pressure
regulator taking the in-house pressure down to about 3 bar....however
the regulator started playing up recently causing the in house static
pressure to increase a lot which could be quite alarming when filling a
kettle.

The regulator is now fixed....and I am just curious.

That's high.

Normal is around 3-4 bar, but I've seen as high as 7. I've never seen
10.

Yes. 4+/- bar is quite common. Mine is 7.5bar, limited to 5 bar by
regulator. 7.5 bar is pretty crazy - couldn't imagine what 10 would be like.

Without a regulator, that would be right at the limit for a lot of
equipment.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...