Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Suggestion for cordless tool makers

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Tony wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Tony wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Why not offer a CORDED battery replacement?

If the battery poops out, you could continue to use the tool with a
cord - much like you can with a cell phone.

The working parts business of battery charger that comes with the
tool is smaller than the battery itself, and could easily be fitted
in a case the size of the battery.

In the alternative, why doesn't some clever entrepreneur concoct the
device to sell as an after-market product? Certainly non-OEM battery
replacements are available; why not power-cord replacements for the
battery? Heck, I've got some old batteries lying about, I might
just try
building a small DC power supply to fit in the scooped-out innards
of one. Just thinking out loud.
Why not use one of those old fashioned drills, you know, the ones you
plug into the electrical outlet in the wall?

Quiet. These guys are re-inventing those.

I hear they are having problems with the AC batteries.

Years ago, an electronics teacher I had, told a story about
one of the many pranks electronics geeks will play on each
other. I'm guilty of quite a few but the prank the teacher
told about was brilliant. There is always some smart ass
who tells the new guy to go get an AC battery off the shelf
in the back. Well, it was pulled on a new guy who was fresh
out of tech school and of course knew everything. Well, he
was told that AC batteries were a new item and that there
was one on the shelf. The skeptical young man went to the
back and sure enough, there, on the shelf was an item labeled
AC battery. He took it back into the shop and handed it to
the senior tech while saying that they were pulling his leg.
The prankster told the newbie to watch this. When the battery
was connected to an oscilloscope, it displayed a nice little
1.5 volts peak to peak sine wave. The guys in the shop had
installed a little battery powered oscillator inside the empty
casing of a D cell. The old regular D cells were basically a
zinc can with a carbon rod connected to the + contact and
they were relatively easy to open up and clean out.

Good one! Especially the sine wave! We charged up caps to a couple
hundred volts, threw them at the new guy and said catch.