Posted to rec.woodworking
Just Wondering Just Wondering is offline

Default Engineer's square

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 01:00:36 -0600, the infamous -MIKE-
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
None of my bits are tapered.
"None is." said the English teacher. "none = not one"

Really, Larry? You're that guy.
Ok, then..... :-)

My usage was correct. Google it. Here's a hint...

If the noun can be counted, you can use either "is" or "are."
In my useage, bits can be counted.

Nope. That one isn't up for question. I had it beat into my head in
school long ago.

That doesn't mean the one doing the beating was correct.

But if you Googled it, remember that not quite everything online is true.

Googled (actually, I used Dogpile.com instead of Google for my search
engine) for the excessivly anal retentive tells us that "none are" is
correct usage:

http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxnoneis.html
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-non2.htm
http://motivatedgrammar.wordpress.co...g-to-clarkson/