Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Lathe purchase advice sought

On Dec 4, 5:52*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
RBnDFW fired this volley in news:hfbcpv$8ud$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

If it's an Atlas 618, with Timken bearing headstock, it's worth having.
If it's the smaller AA lathe labeled Craftsman, they are interesting
toys, and a big step down from the Sherline.

I have a (true) Atlas 618 with Timken bearing headstock, but wearing the
Craftsman badge. *I bought it new the year (1971) before they *******ized
the machine with sleeve bearings, then soon ceased carrying the Atlas
goods at all, infavor of some blocky off-shore stuff.

LLoyd

This should help:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page4.html

I have the 109.21270, the one to avoid, though it isn't THAT bad. I
put a 1/2" Jacobs chuck on the spindle and use it to polish small
parts so I don't risk grit on the ways of my good lathe.

jsw