Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Emerson Electric

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 10:51:32 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

I am passing on a question that I was just asked about this post.

If Emerson will not hire any Americans (" I am not going to hire
anybody in the United States."), why should any American consumer or
business buy a product that contains Emerson content?

TMT

=============
This seems to yet another example where the US legal structure,
policy and regulations are at least a generation behind reality.
I also find it hard to imagine a Japanese, Korean, Chinese, or
German CEO making such a public statement.

At one time, apparently up through the mid to late 80s, a
more-or-less accurate , albeit unconscious, syllogism summarized
the American economy.

When American companies do well, America does well,
.. and when America does well, Americans do well.

About the mid to late 80s, a wave of internationalism swept
through America's corporations with the result that the
corporations (and indeed their officers and directors) no longer
regard themselves as American corporations, but rather as
international corporations that happened to be, more-or-less by
historical accident, domiciled/chartered in the US.

FWIW -- this shift in corporate outlook has not stopped these
"international" companies from running to the Federal government
for assistance and "muscle" in trade disputes, nor has it slowed
down their avid and eager sucking on the Federal tit in the
slightest.

Unka George

(George McDuffee)

The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).