Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default glue

Peter Huebner wrote:

NB: I do not live in North America, so things may be different here.

Think??? vbg

First time I came across 'gorilla glue' it was that red foaming stuff
sold in squeeze bottles. And yes, I agree: totally useless crap. The few
times I used it the joints just popped after a period of time.

On the other hand, there's the white/clear 'gorilla grip' that is sold
in cartidges suitable for caulking guns. This stuff does hardly foam so
long as you don't use it on wet wood. And it holds very very well
indeed. Seems like another animal entirely. Have to anticipate problems
with creep during glue up - it can be as slippery as axle grease. Also
it doesn't wash off the fingers like white glue and you have to use a
spreader rather than a stiff brush - otherwise I'd use it a lot more
than I do.
But it's a superior product, and I prefer it for any kind of kitchen
table/benchtop/chopping board that gets wet or even hot&wet regularly,
since I have difficulty finding aerolite308 these days.

The gorilla US web site doesn't seem to show that--I'd not realized they
had even introduced a wood glue but in looking it appears it's a white
PVA glue that meets ANSI Type I/II tests for water resistance (a la
Titebond II and III) which not any other white PVA does afaik.

A quick search didn't find an online price for it except for another
quick-set version of the same glue in 2-oz bottles that seemed pretty
pricey and not particularly useful for general woodworking.

They didn't have a lot of technical details concerning it; in particular
I looked but saw no mention of the chalk temperature for comparison.

But, as a PVA glue, it certainly would not have the dastardly foaming
characteristics of the polyurethanes nor the cleanup hassles. Oh, it
did have a pretty short clamp time w/ a 5-10 min open time.