Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Diabolical particle board

On Nov 30, 5:34*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
Awl --

So my local corner church ( who for the longest time donated its very nice
stone wall to the asses of the local Drug Dealers and other non-taxpaying
self-employed) *has regular tag sales, and one of the things that didn't
sell last week (and thusly got picked up off the street at midnight by yers
truly), was a nice-ish Ikea-ish dining room/breakfast room table, with side
extensions.

I took it for the sizable piece of wood, and under the sodium street lamp,
it looked perty nice.
I figgered it was particle board, but when I looked on the underside, lo and
behold, it had that that butchery-block appearance of nice biscut-joined
pine. *What a find -- esp these days!
Sheeit, I mused, it's gonna be a shame to cut this up!! *Mebbe I should go
back for the frame?!

So I placed it -- and a Nordic Track Xcountry skier, that also didn't
sell -- in m'truck, preparing for my gloat.

So, under my shop fluorescents, it still looked perty nice, but *ahm lookin
anyway, lookin some more, saying, Wow, if this is pine, I haven't quite seen
a finish like THIS on top....
And, where's the end/side grain???

But, but, It's GOTTA be pine, well, cuz of the underside -- right??.

Wouldn'tcha know......
* * They *papered the underside in butcherblock*!!!
GOT ME!!!!

No doubt for the would-be "savvy" home-moaners (such as myself), who thought
they'd acquired a touch of experience.

I really chuckled over that one, and promptly cut the top up.

Man, you can never ever ever relax yer consumer vigilance.

I think my new invention (right after my Bachelor sink comes out, you know,
the one with urinal lip on the front, with a mini-flushometer) is going to
be Particle Butcher Block, *made out of particle board!

So yeah, it will be a Butcher's Block.......

Oh, on the Nordic track, not sure, but I think the wood there is oak -- *
which is much more useful than the exerciser itself.

--
EA, and harmlessly PV'd

It's up-scale particle board. When applying laminates, a balance
sheet should be applied to the opposite side to avoid warping. In
most cases, this is just a no-pattern laminate sheet. I should say,
in most cases where they apply the balance sheet, I've seen I don't
know how many counter tops and table tops where they didn't and they
got that familiar edge swoop upwards typical of the cheap stuff.

Stan