Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Sylvia Else Sylvia Else is offline

Default How does crimping work?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
BTW, I'm seeing huge variation between lug types (same colour -
different brand). I bought some fully insulated ones - and could pull
them all off with no difficulty. The ones I had in my stock from way
back either failed by tearing the conductor - or had a strength
exceeding mine, and didn't fail.

If by fully insulated you mean the red blue and yellow types available in
a variety of configurations - the colour determining the cable sizes
catered for - they vary wildly in quality by maker, as do the crimp
tools.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PT4525

The particular application is connecting to the terminals of an SLA, so
these connectors have the advantage of minimising the scope for
extraneous contact when they're in place.

Shame they perform so badly on the pull test.

Sylvia.