Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Engineer's square

Ed Bennett wrote:
Not much different from the goofy idea of
holding a square up against a drill bit.

How is that goofy? We're talking woodworking, here.
If the square works well enough for me to draw a guide line through a
block of wood I'm intent on boring a hole though, and I'm laying said
block on the table, why is it goofy to use the same square to make sure
the drill bit is coming down square to the table.

I'm not aware of any situation in which I need a bolt or screw to travel
straight down 6 or 8 inches into a piece of furniture with an accuracy
of +/- 2 thousandths of an inch.

Honestly, I can't understand why people go to such extremes to avoid
dial indicators.

I have one and I use it.
I made my table saw aligner for about 15 bucks and an hour's time.

shameless_plug
You'll find all you need to know about using dial indicators on your
table saw at:

http://www.tablesawalignment.com

Sign up today!
/shameless_plug

I completely understand some people's reaction to most dial indicator
jigs on the market today. Heck, the vast majority do nothing more
than a simple dial indicator on a stick. Some do even less! It
amazes me what some people sell, but it amazes me even more that
people buy it.

Thanks,
Ed Bennett

Honestly Ed, I'm not trying to be a dick, but yours is really not much
more than a dial indicator on a stick, certainly not $100 more than a
stick. :-)

BTW, I bet you'd sell more if you let people see those videos without
having to register. It may help clue people in to whatever it is they do
to make them worth all that money.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)