Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Diabolical particle board

On Dec 1, 11:54*am, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message

Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

So my local corner church ( who for the longest time donated its very
nice stone wall to the asses of the local Drug Dealers and other
non-taxpaying self-employed) *has regular tag sales, and one of the
things that didn't sell last week (and thusly got picked up off the
street at midnight by yers truly), was a nice-ish Ikea-ish dining
room/breakfast room table, with side extensions.

I took it for the sizable piece of wood, and under the sodium street
lamp, it looked perty nice.
I figgered it was particle board, but when I looked on the underside, lo
and behold, it had that that butchery-block appearance of nice
biscut-joined pine. *What a find -- esp these days!
Sheeit, I mused, it's gonna be a shame to cut this up!! *Mebbe I should

So I placed it -- and a Nordic Track Xcountry skier, that also didn't
sell -- in m'truck, preparing for my gloat.

So, under my shop fluorescents, it still looked perty nice, but *ahm
lookin anyway, lookin some more, saying, Wow, if this is pine, I haven't
quite seen a finish like THIS on top....
And, where's the end/side grain???

But, but, It's GOTTA be pine, well, cuz of the underside -- right??.

Wouldn'tcha know......
* * They *papered the underside in butcherblock*!!!
GOT ME!!!!

I recently posted about the newer fake grain in particle board for
furniture. *(actually it's been around for 10+ years) *The grain is
stamped onto the board. *They even make the stamp so the individual pieces
of butcher block are uneven, especially on the bottom. *Feeling the wood
really makes it seem real.

(since we are talking about wood I deleted rec.crafts.metalworking)

Heh -- particle board barely qualifies as wood. *Mebbe need rec.pressboard.
--
EA- Hide quoted text -

See this shed? Looks like rough sawn T11 ply right?

http://www.handyhome.com/kingston.htm

Trust me, it looks like T11 ply up close up.

It's "engineered press board".