Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Default How does crimping work?

In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
BTW, I'm seeing huge variation between lug types (same colour -
different brand). I bought some fully insulated ones - and could pull
them all off with no difficulty. The ones I had in my stock from way
back either failed by tearing the conductor - or had a strength
exceeding mine, and didn't fail.

If by fully insulated you mean the red blue and yellow types available in
a variety of configurations - the colour determining the cable sizes
catered for - they vary wildly in quality by maker, as do the crimp
tools. Some seem to be made out of 'silver' foil. But even with the best,
it's interesting to cut off the insulation after crimping and examine the
quality of the crimp, especially at the bottom end of the range catered
for. To me, the only really satisfactory crimp is the type that forms a
heart shaped cross section after crimping - and those don't.
At least there was some consistency - lugs out of the same box performed
the same as each other.

The crimping tool has a 'pressure' setting, but comes with no guidance
on how to decide which pressure to use.

--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.