Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Diabolical particle board

Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

So my local corner church ( who for the longest time donated its very nice
stone wall to the asses of the local Drug Dealers and other non-taxpaying
self-employed) has regular tag sales, and one of the things that didn't
sell last week (and thusly got picked up off the street at midnight by yers
truly), was a nice-ish Ikea-ish dining room/breakfast room table, with side
extensions.

I took it for the sizable piece of wood, and under the sodium street lamp,
it looked perty nice.
I figgered it was particle board, but when I looked on the underside, lo and
behold, it had that that butchery-block appearance of nice biscut-joined
pine. What a find -- esp these days!
Sheeit, I mused, it's gonna be a shame to cut this up!! Mebbe I should go
back for the frame?!

So I placed it -- and a Nordic Track Xcountry skier, that also didn't
sell -- in m'truck, preparing for my gloat.

So, under my shop fluorescents, it still looked perty nice, but ahm lookin
anyway, lookin some more, saying, Wow, if this is pine, I haven't quite seen
a finish like THIS on top....
And, where's the end/side grain???

But, but, It's GOTTA be pine, well, cuz of the underside -- right??.

Wouldn'tcha know......
They *papered the underside in butcherblock*!!!
GOT ME!!!!

I recently posted about the newer fake grain in particle board for
furniture. (actually it's been around for 10+ years) The grain is
stamped onto the board. They even make the stamp so the individual
pieces of butcher block are uneven, especially on the bottom. Feeling
the wood really makes it seem real.

(since we are talking about wood I deleted rec.crafts.metalworking)