Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim.... tim.... is offline

Default Water meter

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tim Downie" writes:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
I managed to talk my Grandad into having a water meter fitted some years
ago. He lived on his own in a 4 bed house and it was worth him having
one
fitted IMHO. After the meter was fitted he asked me to have a look at it
as he thought it had been incorrectly fitted.

It had indeed been incorrectly fitted. YW had fitted the meter after the
that supplied the outside tap. My Grandad laughed and said "Don't tell
anyone until I am dead" as he went to fetch the lawn sprinkler and
hosepipe from the garage.

Sometimes they cock up the opposite way though. My wife's elderly aunt
who
lives alone had a meter fitted and then faced a bill much bigger than
expected. Turned out that the main supplying her house had a branch that
supplied the neighbour's house as well.

I used to live in a terraced house. Next door was being gutted and
moderised. They ran a new water main and connected it to their new
plumbing. All well and good for them, except the rest of the terrace
was fed from their original pipework and we all suddenly had no water!
The guy had to start digging up the kitchen floor to find where the
pipes went off to the properties on each side, and reconnect them.
House changed hands a few times since then. I wonder if they've had
a water meter fitted since, without realising they're supplying
everyone else too?

Can properties like this have water meters properly?

not usually

tim