Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default How does crimping work?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
Depends on the use. I'd say the most common crimp terminals are in some
form of spring loaded contact. And those tend to be made of brass

Phosphor bronze or beryllium copper are the springy metals in common
use (it may LOOK like brass...).

Could well be - I've not had it analyzed. But it certainly doesn't look
like copper. ;-)
Of course it could be all these sort of things are copper in the US. I can
only speak for the ones I'm familiar with in the UK.

Spade connectors have to have different properties to lugs because they
rely on spring tension for electrical continuity but proper bolt on lugs
are usually copper for copper cables, aluminium for aluminium cables.

http://www.zeetaelectricals.com/