Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default Toyota gas pedal

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:30:50 -0800, Erik wrote:

Why not simply turn the key to the run position, open the hood and press
a ballpoint pen or other item, on the little gizmo in the Schraider
valve on the fuel injector rail until it spritzs gas up like a litle
fountain?

Or doesnt that work?

Please tell me! I might run out of gas someday.

Gunner

When the key is first turned on, the pump is only run a couple of
seconds to be sure the fuel rail is up to pressure. The pump isn't
allowed to run continuously unless the engine is actually running or in
the process of being cranked.

It's a safety thing, you don't want the pump running alone... if allowed
to do so, it could pump the tank contents out through a ruptured fuel
line at an accident site. It happened more than a few times back in the
early days of electric fuel pumps.

Ah! Thanks!

So If the schrader valve is pressed and held down...then the ignition
turned on and off repeatedly...it should bleed?

Gunner

Just put in a gallon or two of fuel, do the switch cycle dance and your
back in business. There is no need to mess with the fuel service port.
The fuel pressure regulator returns trapped air back to the tank.

If your going to do a lot of them, like bleeding fuel systems on the
assembly line, then yea, the service port/scan tool thing is the way to
go. In the real world, most dealers & shops don't mess with the service
port for just bleeding fuel systems... they just cycle the switch.

Erik